This page contains information relating to the Shire's annual budget and annual report.
Click here to view more information relating to Rates, Fees and Charges.
In January/February of each year Council advertises inviting submissions for the coming annual budget. Submissions will be accepted any time up until the end of March of each year for the financial year commencing in the following July. Council generally adopts their budget at a special meeting of Council in the latter half of July.
Budget submission form
Annual budgets are available from either the Northampton or Kalbarri Libraries.
The preparation of the 2016/2017 budget is based on Council’s direction for the financial year. This direction incorporates the focus of maintaining existing services and facilities at levels customers expect. In addition to this, the budget also reflects strategies and projects contained in the Corporate Business Plan 2016-2020.
Councillors are continually assessing the role of local government in the community and are always seeking the views and opinions of residents and ratepayers on major capital works to be undertaken. It is then Council’s decision to refine and adopt a budget, while trying to accommodate all reasonable requests within appropriate funding limits and rate increases.
Following lengthy deliberations, Council has balanced the 2016/2017 budget. Due to funding constraints an amount of requests were not included in this years’ budget.
Major items in this year’s budget that fall into the category of expansion include:
Public ablution blocks maintenance & additional works -
- Continue corrosion treatment to metal surfaces on the Port Gregory toilet block. Horrocks ablutions and change rooms and community kitchen.
- Repaint walls of the Northampton Oval Northern ablution block.
- Replace existing effluent disposal pump system – Sally’s Tree ablution block Kalbarri.
- Continue general maintenance and repairs to all ablution blocks
Maintenance & security work -
- Shire Houses x 8 – general maintenance.
- Miscellaneous repairs and maintenance to all playground equipment.
- Northampton Community Centre - replace electrical cabinet
- Northampton Oval Pavilion – treat emerging corrosion on balustrades.
- Demolish and remove old asbestos clad APB building and toilet block in Northampton.
- Northampton Childcare Centre – replace front security doors and install new ceiling fans.
- Northampton Golf Club – replace damaged gutters and downpipes.
- Northampton Lion’s Park – replace limestone blocks around re-development.
- Kalbarri Childcare Centre – demolish old metal shed in car park area.
- Kalbarri Allen Centre – new Shire of Northampton signage and complete external painting of exposed timber.
- Kalbarri Community Hall (old PCYC hall) – repair roof and wall cladding.
- Kalbarri Arts & Crafts building – remove old timber framed and glass panel double doors on the side of building.
- Continue maintenance painting on another four picnic shelters on Kalbarri foreshore and other areas.
- Repairs to Kalbarri Finger Jetty at Central Ramp (Kalbarri Offshore Angling Club – Grant Allocation)
- Ajana Hall – repair damaged external cladding and carry out general maintenance and painting.
- Binnu Hall – repair damaged gutters.
Parks, Gardens & Foreshore
- Hampton Gardens – Install steps and paving to West side.
- Wannerenooka Road Northampton – replace 2 x storage tanks and security fence.
- Wannerenooka Road Northampton – drill / install new borefield.
- Replace western sections of Northampton oval boundary fence.
Major and Specific Maintenance Roadworks
- Northampton LIA – Kitson Circuit – reseal surface.
- Northampton - West Street – reseal from Bateman Street to Stephen Street.
- Northampton – West Street – upgrade storm water.
- Northampton – Harvey Road – pavement repairs.
- Kalbarri – reseal Gilgai Tavern carpark – Asphalt & Kerbing.
- Kalbarri – Hackney Street – replace paving in front of Pizza Shop.
- Kalbarri – Hackney Street – Upgrade storm water drainage.
- Kalbarri – Sally’s Tree & VMR area – reseal carpark.
- Horrocks – Community Centre – Asphalt seal carpark and entry.
Regional Road Group Projects
- Kalbarri Road – shoulder reconditioning works – 10kms
- Horrocks Road – shoulder reconditioning works – 4kms.
Roads to Recovery/Black Spot Project
- Chilimony Road – Reconstruct 8.85 to 10.10 SLK and from 11.7 to 12.85 SLK. Bitumen seal to 7.2m width.
- Binnu East Road – Re-seal 4kms carry over from 2015/2016.
- Binnu East Road – Re-seal 8kms.
- Horrocks - Mitchell Street – install kerb, drainage and resurfacing.
Royalties for Regions
- Binnu West Road – Stage 2 - construct and seal 4.1 kms (total of 9 kms)
- White Cliffs Road – Commence Stage 1 - construct and seal 6km.(2 year program to construct and seal full length.)
- Northampton - Stephen Street – Replace from NWCH to West Street.
- Kalbarri – Grey Street – Replace DUP in front of Allen Centre.
- Horrocks – southern car park area – DUP along foreshore.
- Prime Mover – trade existing.
- Tip Truck Northampton – trade existing
Refuse Removal Charges
All refuse removal charges are listed below and are relative to the cost of compliance in maintaining refuse sites within the Shire.
- Horrocks $330 per annum per service/bin
- Kalbarri $330 per annum per service/bin
- Northampton $330 per annum per service/bin
- Port Gregory $330 per annum per service/bin
- Business - Kalbarri - $660 per annum per service
- Business – Other $660 per annum per service
Within the 2016/2017 budget Council proposes to continue further works on its refuse sites within the Shire to ensure compliance with the licence requirements issued by the Department of Environment.
Council’s loan liability as at the 30th June 2016 is $1,195,577.
Residents wishing to inspect the 2016/2017 Budget in greater detail can do so by obtaining a copy from Council offices in Kalbarri or Northampton.
The Shire of Northampton's Annual Report for 2014/2015 has been audited and is now available online.
Click here to view the latest annual report